A vegetarian recipe perfect for winter! Nutrient dense and full of fibre to help keep you full and satisfied during the cooler months. If you think vegetables are boring, you won’t after trying this healthy recipe.
BRIAM (GREEK VEGETABLE BAKE)
gluten free / sugar free / preservative free / grain free / dairy free / vegan / vegetarian
Adapted from Jamie Oliver by Real Body Mentor
Cooking Time: 1hr 20mins
- 150ml olive oil plus extra if needed
- 1x large eggplant halved lengthways and thickly sliced
- 1x large onion sliced
- 3x cloves garlic crushed or sliced
- 800g white or sweet potatoes chopped into 1cm cubes
- 6x medium tomatoes sliced
- 12x cherry tomatoes
- 5x zucchini sliced
- 300g tomato passata (no sugar, salt or preservatives in the ingredients)
- 1x tablespoon dried oregano
- ½ bunch fresh parsley chopped
- Sea salt or Herbamare salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 220C.
- Drizzle olive oil into a frypan on medium heat and cook the eggplant in batches for 5-7mins or until soft and golden. Use more oil if needed. Transfer to a baking dish.
- Add the onion and garlic into the frypan with more oil and sauté for 5mins or until soft. Transfer to the dish with the eggplant.
- Add potato, tomatoes, zucchini, passata and 200ml water to the dish. Sprinkle with oregano, parsley, salt and pepper.
- Combine well with your hands and drizzle any remaining oil.
- Place in the oven for 30mins then adjust temperature to 200C for another 20-30mins or until vegetables are tender.
This recipe can be used as a side dish along with your choice of protein and additional carbohydrates if you wish or can be eaten on its own.
If you love this and want to see more healthy recipes, contact Irene from Real Body Mentor.