Why are 5 veg and 2 fruit serves important?
- Diversity is key! Choose food that nourish and sustain your health rather than those that disrupt your gut microbiome.
- Have a “no-meat” day a few times per week. This will reduce your intake of lean red meat (beef, lamb, pork).
- Keep your red meat portion size to around 100gm, raw.
- Try something different and introduce new veggies into your diet.
- Aim for at least three different coloured veggies every day to ensure a diverse microbiome.
- Make sure non-starchy veggies make up the bulk of your daily 5 serves.
EAT THE RAINBOW TABLE
Tomatoes, red capsicum, pomegranate, beetroot, red chillies, strawberries, cherries, plums,
Antioxidant, protects against prostate cancer, heart health, sun protection
Carrots, sweet potato, pumpkin, orange capsicum, papaya, mango, peaches, nectarines, oranges
Vision & eye health, healthy skin & mucous membranes, immune system
Lemons, peaches, yellow squash, yellow carrots, yellow capsicum, pineapple, ginger, turmeric
Protects against cancer and heart disease, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant
Broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, Bok choy, Broccoli, brussels sprouts, Bok choy, dandelion greens, rocket, lettuce, snow peas, green beans, mint, parsley, coriander, spinach, swiss chard, avocado, collard greens, green capsicum, green chillies, kale, kiwi fruit, spirulina, wheat grass
Protects against cancer, blood purifier, antioxidant, supports circulation, protects the eyes
Blueberries, blackberries, elderberries, damson plums, blue tomatoes
Potent antioxidant which protects the brain and neurons, promotes neural plasticity, improves cognition, memory and learning, heart health
Eggplant, purple carrots, beetroot, radicchio, purple lettuce, plums, purple grapes, mulberries
Lowers cholesterol, protects against clots, antioxidant, anti-inflammatory
Garlic, onions, chives, shallots, scallions, leeks, asparagus, artichokes, zucchini, cucumber, daikon radish, radish, horseradish, kale, kohlrabi, rocket, watercress, cauliflower, cabbage, turnips, white beans, pears, coconut
Allyl sulphides (sulphur-rich)
Anti-cancer, lowers cholesterol, reduces risk of stomach cancer and heart disease, lung health, antioxidant, anti-inflammatory