Who would have thought that from 2020, we would need 9 top tips to survive lockdown? And the words covid-19, coronavirus, isolation, and vaccination would be a regular part of conversation? Prior to 2020, no one had ever heard of covid-19 let alone imagined how it would affect the entire world. With the current uncertainty and extended lockdown happening in New South Wales, what do we do now while we are in limbo?
As individuals when we are faced with any challenge there is one fact we know is true, we can only control how we act, feel, and respond in any given situation. A lot of this comes down to doing the basics for our physically, mental, and emotional health.
With that in mind, the team at refreshYOU are here to help! Here are some tips that have assisted us with staying sane during lockdown. Top tips to help you gain control, make a difference to the one who really matters – YOU.
A lot of the tips are basic self-care tools we should all be implementing as part of our daily routine. Now more than ever is a great time to shift the focus away from the negatives of lockdown. Focus on what we can control and work on becoming physically, mentally, and emotionally stronger, feel positive when lockdown finally ends.
Our 9 top tips for survival:
- Move your body – anything that helps you get off the couch. Track your steps to reach 10,000 steps every day.
- Get some sunshine and connect – connect with nature, family members in the home and with family and friends over a video call.
- Nourish your body – good food equals good mood. Avoid the covid weight gain! This includes hydration. Always have a bottle with you as a reminder to drink your 8-10 glasses a day.
- Self-care – small self-care activities such as fixing your hair, nails etc that make you feel good.
- Routine and sleep – Have a semi-structured routine you go by especially during the week. Limit tv binge watching so that you still have the same sleep structure as before lockdown.
- Meditate and breathe – Even for 10mins where you can focus on YOU and the present moment.
- Seek help – don’t be afraid to get help e.g., from a family member or a friend, counselling, or spiritual work to help with any negative emotions in the body.
- Happy list – write 10 activities that make your heart smile and find a way to do as many of them as possible over a month.
- Self-focus – stop watching the news and avoid constant talk of covid. We focus on what we absorb. Focus on you and before you know it this will pass.
Speak to any one of us if you have further questions regarding the points above or if there is anything our refreshYOU team can help you with. We are all in this together.
If you, or you know someone who needs further help, please contact Lifeline.org.au on 13 11 14